Larne RFC Women’s U18 player Toni Macartney is hoping to shine for Ulster U18 Women in the upcoming interprovincial series.
The Downshire school pupil featured strongly in recent trial games against Ontario U18 Women and has been called up into the Ulster U18 Women’s squad for the upcoming Interprovincial Series which kicks off this weekend. Having only recently turned sixteen, Macartney is one of the youngest players in the squad.
A natural athlete, who was also called into the Northern Ireland U17 Netball squad this year, Macartney certainly made her mark in rugby with a try scoring debut for Ulster U18 Select in the series against Ontario and she has received her reward for her hard work with a call up into the Ulster U18 side for their opening Interprovincial fixture away to Connacht on Sunday 2nd September at Ballinasloe RFC. Kick off 2:00 pm.
The full Ulster U18 Women’s squad for that match is shown below.
1. Emma Kearney (City of Armagh RFC)
2. Aoife Cahill (Malone RFC)
3. Ella Garland (Monaghan RFC)
4. Sorcha Higgins (Virginia RFC)
5. Naomi McCord (Ballynahinch RFC)
6. Lucy Turkington (Dungannon RFC)
7. Katie Hetherington (C) (Clogher Valley RFC)
8. Ciara Byers (Virginia RFC)
9. Amber Redmond (Virginia RFC)
10. Lisa Mullen (Virginia RFC)
11. Emma Ryan (Virginia RFC)
12. Kelly McCormill (VC) (Monaghan RFC)
13. Amanda McQuade (Virginia RFC)
14. Sophie Kinghan (Monaghan RFC)
15. Ruth Gilsenan (Virginia RFC)
16. Cara O’Neill (Malone RFC)
17. Ava Fannin (Virginia RFC)
18. Delyth Cook (Ballyclare RFC)
19. Fern Wilson (Malone RFC)
20. India Daley (Enniskillen RFC)
21. Zoe Rafferty (City of Armagh RFC)
22. Zara Flack (Enniskillen RFC)
23. Toni Macartney (Larne RFC)
Macartney has been playing rugby at Larne for two season’s and, under the coaching of Ulster Women’s player Teah Maguire, she has risen quickly through the ranks and has already been training with the Ireland Women’s 7s U18 development squad.
If you’d like to give it a try training is at Larne RFC 7:00 pm – 8.30pm on Mondays for 11-18 year olds with minis training on Saturday mornings. All welcome. #GiveItATry