It was overcast, but very mild on Saturday morning, when Regent House met Craigavon Senior High School in a 3rd Round Medallion Shield tie in Newtownards.
Regent set about their task and were rewarded with an 8th minute unconverted try by Daniel Moore, after a series of drives. Evan McGonigle ran in from deep and conveted his own try to give Regent a 12-0 lead after 14 minutes.
The pressure on the Craigavon line was relentless. Ewan Baker and Jack Sharpe scored unconverted tries after 20 and 28 minutes respectively and Tom Bell’s try, on the halftime whistle, converted by McGonigle gave Regent a commanding 29-0 lead.
The pressure only increased after the break. Tries by Ethan Spratt, Ryan Nixon and a brace by Taylor Swaffield, with a conversion each by McGonigle and Joel Davidson, emphasized Regent’s dominance. Craigavon tried to run the ball out, but promising moves were snuffed out by a hungry Regent defense.
Regent will be pleased with their performance in their 53-0 win and can look forward to a 4th Round Tie against Enniskillen Royal Grammar
MEDALLION SHIELD 4TH ROUND DRAW
- Larne Grammar School v Royal Belfast Academical Institution
- Ballymena Academy v Sullivan Upper School
- Royal School, Armagh v Ballyclare High School
- Rainey Endowed School v Belfast Royal Academy
- Down High School v Methodist College, Belfast
- Campbell College, Belfast v Friends’ School, Lisburn
- Dalriada School v Wallace High School
- Regent House School v Enniskillen Royal Grammar School
Matches to be completed on or before 22nd January 2022.