Subsidiary Shield: Royal School Armagh 19 Royal School Dungannon 10 Final

Published Categorised as Royal School Armagh, Royal School Dungannon, Schools Senior, Schools Subsidiary Shield Tagged , , , , , ,
Royal School Armagh claimed the Subsidiary Shield after a hard fought win against Royal School Dungannon at The Dub on Wednesday afternoon.

It was the battle of “The” Royal Schools on a dry and sunny Thursday afternoon as Armagh met Dungannon in the Ulster Schools Subsidiary Shield Final at Queen’s Arena, The Dub.

Despite mis-fielding the kick off Armagh started the game with some intent with a big clearing drive from the resulting line out and they looked to be getting the better of the opening exchanges.

Finn Fenhert opened the scoring for Royal School Armagh in the Subsidiary Shield Final

After a couple of visits into the Dungannon 22, Armagh finally got their account up and running with wing forward Finn Fenhert just about finding the line on the 12 minute for the opening score. Matthew Monaghan added the conversion to give Armagh a deserved 7 – 0 lead.

Dungannon gradually worked their way into the game and it was fairly even for the rest of the half. However, defences dominated and it was a bit stop start with the scoreboard untroubled for the rest of the half.

Matthew Nichol bags the second try for Armagh in the Subsidiary Shield Final

Dungannon looked to be getting on top at the start of the second half with their forwards twice held up over the line before Armagh broke out and worked their way into Dungannon territory. The ball was spread to the left then brought back inside for Matthew Nicholl to smash his way over close to the posts. Monaghan again converted to take the score to 14 – 0.

Alfie Lewis celebrates his try on the left as Dungannon come storming back.
Ethan Carberry bundles over on the right for Dungannon

A yellow card to Armagh’s full back James Campbell gave Dungannon the extra space they needed and they worked two quick tries down both flanks Ethan Carberry went over on the right for the first to be quickly followed by Alfie Lewis on the left. Unfortunately for Dungannon, neither were converted from difficult positions, leaving the score a 14 – 10 in Armagh’s favour as Campbell returned.

Sam Anderson takes control of the maul to drive Armagh over for the final score of the game.

Fully restored, Armagh were able to stop the game getting away from them and they finished off on the front foot. An attacking line out was expertly mauled to the line under the control of hooker Sam Anderson who chose the correct time to dive for the line and seal the game. No conversion this time but the referee blew immediately after the attempt, the game ending as a 19 -10 win for Royal School Armagh.

Gallery Below

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.