Medallion Shield: Ballymena Academy 5 Campbell College 23 Final

Published Categorised as 2021-22, Ballymena Academy, Campbell College Belfast, Medallion Shield, Schools Medallion Tagged , , ,
Campbell College defeat Ballymena Academy 23-5 in the Medallion Shield Final

The Queen’s Arena, Upper Malone, was the venue for this year’s Medallion Shield Final between Ballymena Academy and Campbell College.

Conditions were challenging. A strong cold wind blew straight down the pitch, which coupled with driving rain and wind chill, sucked heat out of the players. Numb hands and stiff limbs made ball handling exacting, throughout the afternoon.

Playing with the wind Ballymena sought to assert themselves but were held back by a resolute Campbell defence for almost 20 minutes.

Campbell were content to hold on to possession and move slowly up the pitch frustrating Ballymena and running the clock down. They didn’t risk kicking into the wind, instead opting for scrums, rather than touch finding kicks from penalties.

Callum McKinney, No 8, drove over for the opening score

On probably the first occasion that Campbell really moved the ball wide they made progress through the middle and when play was held up short of the line, Callum McKinney drove over to open the scoring. Henry Ralston added the points for a 7 – 0 Campbell lead.

Ballymena’s Charlie Hargy crashed over , in the corner, following a series of rucks and mauls

Ballymena swept back up the pitch from kick off, driving forward from rucks and mauls. When it looked as though Charlie Hargy would be held up, he crashed over in the corner for an unconverted try.

In the last minute of the 1st half Ralston retrieved a pass, caught in the wind, which wrong footed the Ballymena defence, and set off on a solo run to score an unconverted try and leave Campbell 12 – 5 to the good at halftime.

Henry Ralston crashes over for a try for Campbell before the break.

Ballymena turned round after the break facing the wind and rain.

Ralston kicked a 30 metre penalty goal, a couple of minutes into the half to keep the scoreboard ticking over at 15 – 5.

Ed Thomas stretches to score in the corner

Ballymena found it hard to establish any territory and on 41 minutes Ed Thomas found space on the right to dive over in the corner for an unconverted try and a 20 – 5 Campbell lead.

Though camped inside the Ballymena half, Campbell were beaten back by a strong defence. With a few minutes to go Campbell elected to kick for goal, when awarded a penalty 25 metres out. Ralston was successful with the kick to move Campbell out to 23 – 5.

Because of how they played the elements, Campbell deserved their Medallion Shield victory over a very brave Ballymena side.

Gallery Below

Pictures by Bob Given and Richard Owens

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.