Ireland’s Joy Neville scored two tries to secure Ireland’s first victory in the 2010 Women’s World Cup.
TRY: Joy Neville (2), Niamh Briggs, Tania Rosser
CON: Niamh Briggs
TRY: Jamie Burke, Vanesha McGee
CON: Mel Kanuk
Neville scored early in the first half to give Ireland a 5 – 0 lead.
The USA replied with a try by Jamie Burke, converted by Mel Kanuk to go 5 – 7 in the lead but a yellow card for USA prop Douglas handed the initiative back to Ireland who took advantage to score an unconverted try by Niamh Briggs late in the first half to regain the lead by 10 – 7.
Neville added her second early in the second period and Ireland gained the bonus point with a try by Tania Rosser, converted by Briggs, taking the score to 22 – 7.
The USA struck late in the second half with an unconverted try by Vanesha McGee but it was too little too late and Ireland held on for a well deserved victory.
Ireland now face Kazakhstan on Saturday in their final pool match.
Ireland: Niamh Briggs, Amy Davis, Joanne O’Sullivan, Lynne Cantwell, Nora Stapleton, Helen Brosnan, Tania Rosser, Fiona Coghlan, Gillian Bourke, Louise Austin, Kate O’Loughlin, Marie Louise Reilly, Orla Brennan, Claire Molloy, Joy Neville. Replacements: Chris Fanning, Laura Guest, Caroline Mahon, Sinead Ryan, Louise Beamish, Shannon Houston, Mairead Kelly
- 18:10 Match finished, job done. Ireland win 22 – 12
- 18:00 USA score late in the second half. Score now Ireland 22 USA 12.
- 17:38 Tania Rosser gets Ireland’s all important forth try giving them a bonus point against the USA. Briggsy converts, score now Ireland 22 USA 7.
- 17:31 Neville scores again to take the score to Ire 15 USA 7 at the start of the second half.
- 17:11 Briggsy scores to give Ireland the lead coming up to half time. Score now Ire 10 USA 7.
- 17:00 YC for USA prop
- 16:49 USA score a converted try to go ahead 5 – 7
- 16:39 Joy Neville scores for Ireland on the occasion of her 50th Cap Ireland lead 5 – 0.